Wondering how to make your home business look and sound professional? Keeping up a professional image when you work from home takes a little foresight and planning. One of the most important parts of your image is the telephone.
Tips for managing your home office telephone
- Don’t let your kids answer the phone, unless you’ve trained them to do it.
- Answer your phone in a professional voice.
- Keep your PDA or appointment book near the phone, so that you can quickly book meetings
- If you can afford it, get two separate phone lines, if you share your home phone with family or roommates.
- Get caller ID so you know who’s calling, especially if you don’t have a dedicated business line.
- Use a cell phone for business calls and forward it to your home phone when you’re available, if you can’t manage separate land lines.
- Record a professional greeting for your voice mail.