How to sign up for Twitter – shortly after asking about the merits of getting an account for Twitter, a friend and colleague asked how to go about signing up for the a free social media service. While you can merely check the steps on the Twitter site, some people prefer a step-by-step guide.
How to sign up for Twitter
- Go to Twitter.com.
- In the top right corner, you’ll see a “sign up” button. Click it.
- Provide some basic information about yourself. You’ll need to include your name, email address and a password. (See our password management app article.)
- You may need to try a few times to find an account name that hasn’t been taken. Try adding information, as opposed to numbers. MarketingConsultant2017 or MarketingConsultant443 are less memorable than DavisMarketingChicago.
- Then click “Create my Twitter account”
- Upload a photo (people connect better to pictures of people, but you could also use your logo)
- Add a background (a relevant landscape photo can work)
- Write a short bio. You may want to include some keywords that describe your work or interests, as well as something that makes you feel a bit more personable (“Father of 3. Longboard deck collector.)
Once you’ve created an account, start following some people and lurk on Twitter for a while. When you feel like you get the idea, try your hand at tweeting. You may want to write out some tweets ahead of time, then post them one at a time. You can experiment with replying to others, sending inbox messages and following conversations.
Related to Signing up for Twitter