So you’re working for somebody else but you dream of becoming a full-time self-employed consultant. The good news is: you don’t have to up and quit your current job! A great way to achieve your goal is to start consulting part-time.
Why should you do this?
- Finances – your current job is your ‘safety net.’ Staying in your existing job enables you to build your consulting client base at your own pace and without financial worries.
- Experience – consulting part-time while you continue to work provides you with valuable hands-on experience. You may also realize you need to gain more knowledge through courses or classes. During this time you can start networking and perhaps even find a mentor. Everything you learn now will prepare you for the day you want to move into full-time consulting.
- Enjoyment – working as a part-time consultant gives you the time you need: you can focus on your goal and discover just how rewarding being a consultant can be!
Other aspects to consider:
And never forget…
- Keep your dream alive! Focus on what you need to do to make it work. Stay positive. Increase your knowledge. Challenge yourself. And never lose sight of your goal of becoming a full-time self-employed consultant.
Related to average consultant rates
- How to make the leap into full-time consulting
- Do you own your life?
- Learn to free-lance and change your life