Regular readers know I often mention how consulting makes a great side job. I recently overheard someone saying that it’s wrong to use your spare time to make money. This person said that spare time is meant for spending time with friends, family, hobbies and other noble pursuits. And, on the whole, I agree.
But what if consulting gives you the freedom to spend time with friends, family and hobbies? Here are some ways consulting gives you freedom:
- If you’re stuck in a job you hate, you may not be the most pleasant person.
- By doing consulting, you can take charge of your career — even for a few hours a month.
- Consulting allows you to sock away money for trips to visit family.
- It lets you build up job skills so that you can improve your career prospects or change careers.
- It gives you the flexibility to retire early, stay home with kids and care for family.
- It can help you get out of debt, so that you can save for a home, college fund, vehicle or something else that gives you freedom.
- Consulting can give you a sense of accomplishment and independence.
Read more about reasons to become a consultant.