Country music legend Dolly Parton is actually a pretty savvy business owner. You may know her for her music, acting and personality, but she can actually teach you a lot about making money.
I’m not going to limit myself just because people won’t accept the fact that I can do something else.
Dolly Parton and her 11 siblings were raised in a one-room cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains. But she grew up to be a country music star. And yet, once she’d achieved celebrity status as a singer and song writer, she kept going. She’s now known as an actor, amusement park developer, dinner show theater owner and film and television company owner. Dolly’s never let anyone reign her in. She puts together a good plan and goes for it.
Lessons from Dolly Parton about making money
- See yourself for more than what you are now.
- Once you achieve something, don’t be afraid to explore new areas.
- Focus on your talents. As diverse as Dolly’s business interests are, they share common themes and reinforce one another.
- Maintain a solid brand. Most people have a pretty solid image of Dolly in their minds.
- Give back. In pursuing her business interests, Dolly has helped to build the careers of other singers and actors — and she’s also poured a lot of work into rebuilding the economy of East Tennessee.
- Doing what you love for profit
- Japanese toys and what you can learn
- Discover Your Inner Consultant
- What Julia Child can teach you about business
* Thank you to Darren Rowse, who inspired me with his Kenny Rogers post.
"What Dolly Parton can teach you about making money" from Become a Consultant at ConsultantJournal.com.