Wondering if you really do need a laptop for business? We’ve previously written about this very question under the aptly-titled article, Do You Need a Laptop Computer for Business? . Things change and it seems like it’s worth revisiting this topic. After all, today’s entrepreneur has a range of device choices, including smartphones, tablets and iPads, desktops, Netbooks, laptops and other electronics.
When do you need a laptop for business?
Before you decide what to buy, think about when you’re planning to use your laptop for business. Consider all the circumstances:
- Home office
- Business office
- Client settings
- Public transportation
- Coffee shops
- Office sharing and hotdesking
What do you need your laptop to do for your business?
Think about how you’ll need to use your laptop for work and business:
- Document editing, including wordprocessing, spreadsheets and presentations – or something more intense?
- Specialized apps and programs, such as GIS or architecture, rendering or high end accounting
- Coding and programming
- Video editing
- Graphic design
What do you really need in your business laptop?
There’s no sense investing in a laptop aimed at college students who game if you really need something just to edit documents. Think about:
- How fast your laptop needs to be
- How big your screen should be
- How heavy your laptop can be? Will an extra pound throw out your back? Do you really walk around with it that often?
- How long does your battery need to last?
- Will you plug your laptop into a docking station when you’re in your more ergonomic office set up?
- Do you need your laptop to do everything? Will you have another workstation computer or is this it?
- How will you use your laptop with other devices? Could you get away with a Netbook or an iPad/tablet paired with a keyboard some of the time?
- Could you soup up your existing system with extra memory, cloud-based drive space or even just running some system maintenance?
Today’s business laptops are so powerful that, in many circumstances, it’s not whether you need a laptop computer for business – it’s what laptop computer do you need for business?! And the answer to that will come down to your unique needs. Spend the time to think through what you need before you end up investigating the devices available. It may save you from being pressured into a purchase you don’t need.
If you’re looking for a laptop for business, pop over to Amazon for some options. Consultant Journal is an Amazon affiliate.