ComputerWorld’s write up on negotiation offers some pointers that can help consultants, not just IT jobseekers. The main ideas I gained from the piece include:
- Preconditioning the client
- Strategically selecting target clients
- Doing a self-assessment and filling in the gaps
- Learning the client’s industry
- Creating a great set of marketing tools
As I’ve said before, negotiation is one of the most important tools in a consultant’s toolbox. As part of your personal development, look for ways to hone your negotiation skills. If nothing else, it will help with negotiating your fees.
If you want the goods on salaries on for consultants, take a look here.