After more than 10 years in consulting, I’ve gone through a lot of goal-setting exercises. Some of those goals included:
- planning a consulting business
- graduating from an entrepreneurship program
- getting my first client
- achieving part-time success
- leaving my full-time job
- making more than I did in my full-time job
- securing my first "Fortune 500" client
- moving into new business areas
- teaching at the college level
- establishing recurring revenue
- subcontracting work
- and so on.
However, no matter what my successes, I’m tempted to look at my revenues. It’s my biggest vice. I know there are a million ways to measure success, but I always end up looking at my financial statements.
Do you share my challenge? How do you manage it?