Business moms – Here are 5 things they won’t tell you about working from home.
1. Sometimes you’ll miss wearing business attire
While it can be great to work at home in casual wear–especially in the beginning–you may want to get ready for the day before you start working in the mornings. Freshening up and looking professional can help you get into work mode and can make your family take you more seriously.
2. Working at home with kids is not the same as working at home without kids
Let’s face it. Working at home with children in the house is simply not the same as working at home in an empty house. You will have to be much more mindful of taking telephone calls and scheduling conference calls when you’ve got children in the next room. Depending on your children’s ages, interruptions will happen and you may have to be flexible about working hours depending on your children’s needs.
3. There will be bad days
Just like with any job, there will be bad days as a business mom. Even I have my days!
4. Sometimes saying no can be tough
Being a business mom can mean that you’ve got some tough decisions to make, especially when it comes to scheduling and saying no. As a business mom you’re juggling a lot of competing priorities, and sometimes it can be difficult knowing which route to choose, like when I received a dream call from a reporter who wanted to interview me four days after my second son was born.
5. Believe it or not, working at home can get lonely
While the idea of no longer having a boss and not having to spend time with co-workers may sound great, working at home can indeed get lonely–even when you have children at home. Here are tips for dealing with home office isolation.
While these 5 things they won’t tell you about what it’s like to be a business mom may focus on the negative, it’s important to remember that the good far outweighs the bad. The 30 things I love about being a parent entrepreneur are just a tiny sampling of the hundreds of reasons why I love being a business mom. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Stay at home mom returning to work?
- Work from home mom ideas
- Do a lot of moms start businesses?
- Big list of reasons to become a consultant
- Consulting brings work-life balance
- Consulting Fees: A Guide for Independent Consultants
- Discover Your Inner Consultant
- Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur (for moms)
- Become a consultant: How to make the leap
- Why you should hire more moms (Inc.)