I’ve been consulting for several years and it recently occurred to me that there are a lot of myths about consulting. Here are my top 10 consulting myths:
- You need to be a long-in-the-tooth expert. Nope. You just need to have knowledge that will help a customer. And there are lots of entry-level consulting jobs, if you want to work for a firm, instead of for yourself.
- You have to set your fees really low to get clients. Nuh-uh. You need to set fees that match with your skills, experience and market.
- You have to work long hours. Not necessarily. The great thing about consulting is that you’re in charge. You can have whatever work-life balance you choose.
- You have to quit your day job. Wrong. Many people, including me, started out by moonlighting. In fact, some people do this on a permanent basis to make extra money.
- You have to deal with all sorts of paperwork to set up a consulting business. Nope. See how to become a consultant.
- You must spend a fortune on a lawyer, accountant, marketer and other people. Not in most cases — you should be able to start up on your own, for little cash.
- You should focus on business or financial consulting. No way! There are tons of kinds of consulting business ideas out there, ranging from skin care consultants to sports nutrition consultants!
- You aren’t really a consultant — you’re unemployed. Uh, no. If you can rattle off an elevator pitch, cite a few clients, and tell people what you’re currently doing, no one will think you’re unemployed.
- People will line up at your door. Not exactly. Once you build a reputation and a strong client list, that may be the case. But you’ve got to ramp up to that.
- You’re on salary. Unfortunately, many clients think their consultants are on salary and thus expect 100% dedication from them. Make sure you understand the difference between being a contractor and a consultant.
- (It’s always good to underpromise and over deliver). You’re stuck with bad clients. No, you can always look at firing your customers.
- Become a Consultant – the Big List of Reasons to Become a Consultant
- Becoming a consultant FAQ
- Consulting Fees: A Guide for Independent Consultants
- Discover Your Inner Consultant
- Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur (for moms)
"Top 10 consulting myths" from Become a Consultant at ConsultantJournal.com.