At times, consulting can be a lonely business. Loneliness can hit home when you have something to celebrate but you don’t have co-workers to pat you on the back! Now and then, it’s important to pause and reflect on your successes. Here are 12 ways to pump your ego.
1. Make a list of your top 8 projects or achievements.
2. Remind yourself why you started consulting in the first place. And while you’re at it, take advantage of your favourite feature of consulting.
3. Schedule a motivational session with another consultant (or a friend in a similar field). Get together over dinner and discuss your top projects and favourite memories from the past year.
4. Make a list of your top five skills. What are you best at? When do you feel like you’re "in your element?"
5. Keep a folder detailing praise, awards, testimonials, and recognition. Have a look though it on occasion. Reflect about how far you’ve come and what people have said about you and your work.
6. After reflecting on your successes, consider some fun and exciting goals that you’d like to achieve over the next year. Make another list detailing how you’re going to achieve these goals and why you’re capable of making them happen.
7. On your website, rewrite your biography, byline, or "about" page–touching on your top achievements.
8. Try to remember a project that made you feel overwhelmed or inexperienced. Contrast those feelings against how you’d feel tackling that project today.
9. Pitch a story about your business to a local magazine or newspaper. Don’t be shy!
10. Buy something extravagant because you can afford it.
11. Consider what your business would be like if you just stopped doing everything that you do. Consider the many hats you wear. Consider how important you are. Without you, your business would be non-existant.
12. Write a press release detailing your business’ achievements and submit it to local and online media.
It’s great to pump your ego when you’ve got something to celebrate.
Bit if you’re ever feeling down or depressed, remind yourself of your top achievements and you’ll be sure to get your motivation back.
- Staying motivated; fighting depression
- Consulting Fees: A Guide for Independent Consultants
- Discover Your Inner Consultant
- Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur (for moms)
- Become a Consultant: How to Make the Leap Course