Consultants are always thinking about growing their businesses. In fact, even when they’re completely booked up, consultants still focus on generating more leads.
Here are 5 age-old ways to grow your business as a consultant:
1. Networking: There’s no better way to grow your business than to get out and network. Networking can be structured, attending a Chamber meet and greet for example, or it can be impromptu, striking up a conversation with someone next to you in line at a coffee shop for example. If you’re a new consultant, networking is definitely where you want to spend your time so that you can build your sphere of influence.
2. Never Stop Marketing: When you run your own business, marketing and promotions are a constant fact of life. No matter how busy you are, it’s important to nurture your existing relationships and look for new prospects. Ask yourself, "What have I done today toward getting new clients?"
3. Online Promotions: Of course, online promotions usually start with a website, but having a website is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out these five ways to promote your business online.
4. Referrals: It’s easy to get wrapped up in trying to find new clients, but turning clients into repeat customers is one of the smartest things you can do for your business. Treat your clients well and make sure they’re happy with your work. Your clients will want to work with you again–and they’ll refer their friends and contacts to you. Be open and honest about the fact that you’d love your client to refer new prospects your way.
5. Always Re-Assess: When launching a business, you should put together a business plan and forecast your income. In addition, it’s a smart idea to re-assess your business practices on an annual or semi-annual basis. How has business been? What are your strengths and what are your weaknesses? Would you benefit from a mentor?